Skip to main content

MAGIC SQUARES!


Hi All,

How about some Algebraic Thinking, Addition, and History? How about some Magic Squares then?

I usually begin this lesson by asking if any of the class have ever heard of Ben Franklin. We talk a little bit about him and then I read aloud a very short picture book biography, Ben Franklin and the Magic Squares by Frank Murphy (Random House, 2001).


This books talks about Franklin’s life as an inventor and political figure in an appropriate and engaging manner for elementary students. It also tells us about Franklin’s time as a clerk in the Continental Congress. His job was to write down laws or declarations passed by the congress, but much of the time was spent debating so Franklin doodled in the margins of his ledger. He drew cartoons and wrote some notes, but he also drew magic squares, those fun nine box squares where no matter which way you go by rows or columns or diagonals, all of the numbers add up to the same sum.


Magic squares were invented long before Franklin, in India and China, but Franklin re-discovered them and popularized them in America by publishing them in his newspapers and magazines. Magic Squares were the Soduku of their time!

After reading the book I ask students if they want to try some out. I give them the first paper (link to pdfs) where they work individually or with a partner to complete the partially completed magic squares using logic, guess and check, and addition fact knowledge. 

I then ask if they would like the secret formula to create their own magic squares? Of course they do! I make them swear a mathematician’s oath not to share the secret with anyone who is not a mathematician. (Fortunately everyone learning about math is a mathematician!)

Students then use the formula paper (in pdf link) that shows “One Way to Make a Magic Square” to create a couple of their own. After that they can erase a number or two and let partners try and solve them.

Here's the link to the pdf's: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1puFAb63nqIgE1aZY1qA5O-61dZEcmYvs/view?usp=sharing

Have fun!
All the best. Stay safe. God Bless!
Bob

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE FOUR FOURS!

Hi All, Here's a mathematical exploration that will literally make kids want to know what a factorial is and how to use it! I know, crazy, right? But, true! I love this one. It is particularly good for a class that is learning about order of operations, so typically 5th or 6th grade, but you can use it all the way through high school because it is just so darn intriguing and fun. You should try it too. It does give your brain a workout, and makes you think flexibly with numbers. The premise is simple. You get four "4's." Using any of six operations; addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, square root, or factorials, write mathematical expressions to represent all the integers from 0 - 25. You may use operations as many times as you want and you may use a variety of operations within an expression. You can also use brackets and parentheses as needed. For example to represent 16, you could write 4 + 4 + 4 + 4 Remember, 4 is the only digit you can use...

BAD Graphs

 Hi All, Kids love to find other people's mistakes. (Not always that keen on finding their own of course.) Here's a chance for them to find some mistakes while learning some things about graphs. This activity focuses on learning about graphs and the parts of a graph that are important, but are sometimes neglected. When kids make their own graphs the most common omissions are: the title (what is this a graph of?), labeling the x and y axis (what do numbers and bars means?), and the units (how much of what?). A great way to remind kids of the importance of these elements is to have them try to deal with graphs that don't have them ie; BAD graphs.  I give students a worksheet on which I have created four BAD graphs. They are BAD graphs because I leave off important elements like the title. Along with this students are also given a 4 item question sheet which they are to try to answer using the BAD graphs. I put the BAD graphs on the board or display. They look like this:   I...

EGG BOX SHAKE! IT'S WHATEVER YOU WANT IT TO BE.

Hi All, Shake it up! Egg Box Shake is noisy and fun! That's a big plus right there for most kids. Students like to create and keep their own math tools, and this is a great opportunity to do that as well. And, teachers can adapt the game to fit any level or mathematical operation. Win. Win. Win. Egg Box Shake originated as a coin identification and addition game for grades 1 – 3. I had students bring in an egg carton from home and then provided them with play money or coin stamps, ink pads, and card stock. They stamped out pictures of the coins onto card stock, front and back images, and then cut out the pictures. Students glued these pictures into the bottom of the twelve sections of the egg carton. Each player would get two beads, beans, chips, marbles, or any other small manipulative. They put these into the box and closed it. They then shook the box. When they stopped they opened it and saw where the beads had landed. Players added those two coins o...